Most of you will have already read this on facebook, but I'm copy/pasting it here for my non-facebook readers. I may add some stuff at the end though, so feel free to scroll down if necessary.
Travis works for Waste Management. Every work day, he goes out with a partner, and they take turns driving and slinging trash/recycling/yard waste into the back of the truck (depends on the route as to what they are picking up). This morning, Travis and his partner arrived on their route and discussed who would start driving, and who would sling. Out of selflessness, Travis offered for his partner to sling first, while it was still relatively cool outside, and then Trav would sling later in the day, when it got hotter. They picked up one stop and went on to the next. As Trav's partner was picking up the second stop, a truck (not WM, a regular truck) slammed into him and the truck Trav was waiting in. Travis' partner died. This is not Trav's regular partner--he's been shuffled around a little bit the past couple weeks--so we don't know much about the guy or his family (or at least I don't--Trav only had a few minutes to call and let me know the basics of what happened and that he was okay). Travis walked around to the back of the truck, where he saw his partner. I don't know what shape his body was in, but Trav said that seeing it put him into shock.
There is absolutely no way that the accident was Trav's fault--in fact, marijuana was found in the other truck--but he has a lot of red tape to climb through because of the accident.
I cannot tell you what it's like to realize that were it not for the selflessness of my husband this morning, he would be dead. I think I am a little in shock myself (not medically), but I am grateful that God spared Trav's life, and my heart breaks for whatever friends and family this man had.
We knew when Trav took this job that it was one of the top five most dangerous jobs in the U.S., but to have something like this happen just blows you away. God is giving me peace--although I'm still a little shook up about it--but Trav needs peace even more than I.
Obviously we are not telling the girls as they are too young to understand, but they are likely to be a little confused this week. Trav has been given the rest of the week off paid (after he finishes hurdling the red tape), and has experienced a traumatic event. The girls are very perceptive and may notice things are different, even if they don't understand why.
Please be praying for Travis, most of all, as well as for me and for the girls. Pray for peace, comfort, and strength. Pray that Trav will not experience nightmares, and that neither of us will suffer from anxiety or stress as a result of this accident. Please also pray for the friends and family of the man who died.
Thank you, my friends and family for your love and support at this time.
Misty
P.S. Forget about petty frustrations. Little things that irritate us become nothing when you realize that you could have lost them.
And now, my addition.
Today is a weird day. I'm kind of in a haze right now. I didn't even realize that I hadn't brushed my teeth this morning until about quarter to eleven! Needless to say, I brushed them once I realized. I've had a few different phone calls from concerned family, and it's wonderful to have their support. I'm really looking forward to the girls' nap time so Trav and I can get some rest. He should be coming home soon, and I'm looking forward to him being here.
The baby's been kicking a lot today. Between the little kicks and the accident this morning, I am reminded over and over of God's grace and love--and the life that He so freely gives us. I may get frustrated with Trav at times, but I don't know what I'd do without him. I can't believe how close I got to losing him today.
God is giving me His peace, but it is a bit of a struggle sometimes. Of course, hormones make the situation even more crazy, but I'm doing okay. Trying to stay calm so my bp doesn't spike. I have to remind myself sometimes to breathe, but I know that God is good and I am so grateful that He spared Trav's life.
I love my husband and am SO glad that he's alive.
The u/s is tomorrow, so if you haven't voted yet, be sure to get your vote in my tomorrow. I think the poll closes at 3, but it's been a while since I set it up, so I'm not positive.
Take the time today to think about your priorities. Is it really so important that your spouse not leave their dishes in the sink when the dishwasher is less than a foot away? Is your life what you want it to be? We're not promised a single day--or even a second. If you left this world today, what would people have to say about you? And if you lost someone you love, would you regret things you've said or didn't say?
Thanks for reading.
Love,
Misty
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



Oh my goodness Misty, that is soooo crazy. I'm so sorry that this has happened. Wow, there are truly no words. I'll be in prayer for Travis, you, and all 3 of your babies. I'll also be in prayer for the family of the man who died. Praise the Lord for His protection.
ReplyDelete